Agra, the “City of Taj”, forms part of Golden Triangle tourist circuit, and is one of the most visited cities of North India. A visit to Agra is like going back in history, in medieval times, when royalty was at its peak, and art and crafts had a vintage appeal.
Agra was once the capital of the powerful Mughal Empire and flourished in the Mughal era. It is situated on the banks of the holy Yamuna River, and located close to Delhi. Mughals and several other dynasties that ruled over Agra, built majestic monuments and tombs, which are marvels of architecture.
Agra has not one, but three UNESCO World Heritage Sites, and all of these are heritage monuments of the finest architectural beauty.
From Jaipur to Agra
From Jaipur, you can go to visit Agra, and see its many famous tourist sites. The markets in Agra, even today, feels like medieval bazaars, and the timeless beauty of Taj Mahal, even today, is a symbol of eternal love and one of the most beautiful monuments of the world.
Agra is well connected with major cities of India with a network of roadways, airways and railways. There are regular trains between Delhi and Agra, and express trains connect Agra to other parts of India.
So plan a trip to Agra from Jaipur, where you will find all the necessary travel info given below. There is vital info like Agra sightseeing places, restaurants in Agra, best food to taste in Agra, best hotels to stay in Agra, and many other details.
How to reach Agra from Jaipur?
Traveling by road or train is best to go to Agra from Jaipur. Various ways of travel are given below:
- By road: Agra is 240 km from Jaipur. Traveling by road takes 5-6 hours to reach Agra from Jaipur.
- By train: There are many trains that go from Jaipur to Agra. Some trains like 12035 Jaipur Agra Fort Shatabdi, 09703 Jaipur Howrah Junction Special and 12404 Jaipur Allahabad Junction Express, originate from Jaipur and reach Agra. Other trains like 12308 Jodhpur Junction Howrah Junction Super fast, 12548 Agra Super Fast, which passes through Jaipur on the way to Agra.
- By flight: There is only one direct flight from Jaipur to Agra. It is Air India AI-9687. There are no other flights from Jaipur to Agra. You can take flights from Jaipur to New Delhi and then travel by road or train to Agra.
What’s to see in Agra?
Agra is a historic city of Uttar Pradesh, and a top tourist city of India. Anyone visiting Agra, of course, wants to see the Taj Mahal, but there are so many other places you can visit. There are bazaars with an appeal of bygone era, sprawling Mughal gardens, powerful forts, mausoleums, tombs, and so much else. Some of the top sites to see in Agra are:
- Taj Mahal
- Agra Fort
- Mehtab Bagh
- Fatehpur Sikri
- Tomb of Itmad-ud-Daulah (Baby Taj)
- Tomb of Akbar at Sikandra
- Jama Masjid
- Chini ka Rauza
- Gurudwara Guru ka Taal
- Wildlife SOS
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity
Where to eat in Agra?
You will get the tastiest North Indian dishes and Mughlai food in Agra. The top restaurants in Agra serve not only the traditional North Indian food, but make it with traditional cooking methods as well. The royal heritage of Mughals can be felt even in the culinary dishes of Agra. So here are some special restaurants you must visit in Agra such as:
- Pinch of Spice
- Joney’s Place
- Bon Barbecue Restaurant
- Pind Balluchi
- Dasaprakash Restaurant
- Good Vibes Cafe
- Tea’se Me
The street food that you get in Agra can be so tempting, that the taste will linger in your mouth for many hours after you’ve eaten it. And why not!! There’s the famous pethas of Agra, the signature Mughlai dishes like kebabs and meats, the sweet and tangy chaat varieties, and sweets like jalebis, rabris and more. You can be sure of satisfying your hunger in some of these street-side eateries in Agra:
- Ram Babu Parantha Bhandar
- Agra Chat House
- Panchi Petha Store
- Mama Chicken Mama Franky House
- Deviram Sweets & Restaurant
- Pind Baluchi
Best hotels in Agra as per your budget
- Budget Hotels: Parador Boutique Hotel, Hotel Bhoomi Residency
- Star Rated Hotels: Ramada Plaza Agra, Hotel Clarks Shiraz
- Luxury Hotels: The Oberoi Amarvilas, ITC Mughal
- Hostels: Zigzag Hostel Agra, Joey’s Hostel Agra
Some must do activities in Agra
You will most activities to do in Agra that are closely related to its Mughal culture and royal heritage. However, there are some attractions that are unique and a visit to these is included in most itineraries. So below are the most sought after activities to do in Agra.
- Rickshaw Tour of Agra
- Agra Food Tour
- Moonlight Tour of Taj Mahal
- Mughal Heritage Walk
- Old Agra Bazaar Tour
- Taj Mahal Sunrise Tour
- Taj Nature Walk
- Agra Walking Tour
- Visit to Wildlife SOS
- Visit to Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity
What’s the best time to visit Agra from Jaipur?
The peak tourist season in Agra is from November to March. In these winter months, the weather is best for sightseeing, shopping, and doing a number of things in Agra. You will not feel the heat of the sun, and evenings and night are relatively cool than in other months. Summer months from April to October are hot, but you will get fewer crowds in many sightseeing places. Rain starts from August and monsoons last till October. This is also best for viewing Taj Mahal in the monsoon rains. Overall, you can visit Agra throughout the year.
Also remember, that Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays, and there is a long queue for the entry tickets, so start very early to see the Taj Mahal, or book your tickets online and in advance. Also, keep in mind, that the timings for most of the monuments in Agra are closed after 6.00 pm.